Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Reflections on Diversity and People at HSPH

Yesterday marked the 3rd Annual Unity Reception, an Office of Diversity-sponsored event where the school publicly reaffirms its commitment to diversity. On the one hand, the event is a huge political feat as Dean Frenk takes time out of his busy schedule to offer some words on diversity at HSPH (and us students get to eat really yummy food). On the other hand, the event is filled with irony, as Office of Diversity Director Dr. Dale Trevino comments on the historical importance of diversity in a U.S. setting and not one  Hispanic-American is present. (In fact, in recent discussions with classmates, I'm not sure that there are any in the entire school...)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the diversity that we do have and the commitment that the school makes; other schools (*cough*cough*Hopkins) have rearranged priorities, and supporting offices such as an Office of Diversity is not among them. It was just so interesting that this event occurred because lately, I've been doing a lot of reflecting. I've been thinking about the people I've met and relationships I've formed here at HSPH. I know that with my ridiculous load, this shouldn't even be on my list of things to do, but since I took the time to think it, I figured I might as well share...

I was speaking with a friend of mine the other day, and he commented that he couldn't believe that one year was almost over. If he had chosen to complete his MPH in the suggested 9-month time frame, he didn't feel that he would have had enough time to get to know HSPH, Harvard, and the people here. On the one hand, I can see that. I feel that I made several relationships last year, some of which have become stronger from a distance. I guess in one year, you have a limited time to really get to know someone and so much of what you remember is either: you liked them or you didn't; you clicked or you clashed; you want them to be a part of your future network or you don't. When I look back on my relationships from last year, there are a few people that I feel I've remained close with since they graduated last year and there are several others that I keep in touch with from time to time. I love them as people, value their friendship, and respect them for what they have (and will) accomplish.

Then, there are people that I wouldn't have truly become friends with if I had graduated last year. Some of my closest amigas here now are students I knew last year but didn't connect on a personal level with until after the one-year hump. 

But then there are those that after some time, I've started to question our relationship. Do they really value me as a friend? Or was our connection more for networking purposes? Is the way I'm feeling now based on "signs" I didn't notice all along, or is it me that's changed? Or perhaps, is this just the nature of the relationships we form at this institution, within the average age-group here, and at this level, as opposed to what my experience before coming here. For the very few people who came straight out of undergrad, is this the manifestation of "growing up?"

Thinking of all of this brought me back the concept of diversity among students at HSPH. It occurred to me that the students here come from such a variety of backgrounds, which while enhancing our learning may also contribute to interpersonal relations. I wonder if Nigerian-American, small Midwestern town identity, for example, prevents some people from fully being able to relate to or understand me, while my own lens impacts the way in which I connect with some others. (So philosophical, I know, but just follow...) ;) 

In my "Analyzing Culture" class at the Ed school, we were actually talking about the "sense of otherness" that people may choose to box you into because they don't understand or can't categorize you. I'm Midwestern (i.e., not a New Englander), Nigerian-American (i.e., a melange between one and the other), and you can group me into either of those categories. But, I'm also a proud Spartan (go MSU!), from a public state higher-education institution (no prep school, no Ivy League). I sometimes find that the diversity of backgrounds of people here at HSPH leaves me feeling isolated...different...I have been fortunate enough to be provided with tools, encouragement, as well as my own personal motivation, to find ways to compensate. But if I were coming from some other backgrounds (certain racial/ethnic groups without a presence here, lower socioeconomic status, etc.) and had never been exposed to ways of finding support and connections in a place like this, this type of environment might seem too much to handle.

Honestly, with all the formal "lunch dates" and organized visits to peoples' houses (which I have learned is related to culture), sometimes I wonder what happened to the random phone calls at 8 pm to informally "hangout" and have a beer?

Perhaps my experience isn't typical. Perhaps most of these thoughts, worries, and insecurities are about me and the background that I'm coming from. But I'm also realizing that I'm now in a very different environment now. I'm not in college where everyone wants to save the world and will do whatever it takes to try and contribute to realizing that dream; just getting people to commit to planning an event like an African cultural showcase for 100 people is really hard (and sometimes discouraging)! Even though I don't always realize it, this is an intense, quietly competitive environment. This stop is just one of many on the journey to become a world-renowned doctor or researcher, and so I think that many people do what they feel they need to do to get there. If you're lucky enough to find people that you can relate to, then you can really enjoy the experience and form great bonds along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment