Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Two Truths and a Lie

I know I was supposed to do my New Years reflections, but...

Have you ever played the game "two truths and a lie?" It's easy; I tell you three things, and you have to guess which two are true and which is the lie. Let's try it.

1. Boston is home to approximately 250,000 college students each year and has one of the highest concentrations of colleges within a mile radius in the U.S.

2. While Boston boasts a population of over 600,000 people, it should not be considered a real city because public transportation stops running by 1 am.

3. Boston has beautiful weather all year round.

Which is the lie...?

I'll give you a clue. It's not #1. Boston truly is college town capital of the U.S. (okay, I haven't verified this or anything, but the population of students is 250,000). Within one mile of my apartment, there are at least nine universities; crazy right? This is one of the fun facts about Boston.

I'll give you another clue. The lie is not #2. This is true. How can a "city" that's just 4 hours from NY and 8 hours from DC call itself a "city" when the train stops at 1 am? The clubs don't even close until 2 am, which leaves broke college students (i.e., moi) stranded or forced to take a taxi. Then again, almost everything in Boston is no more than a $25 taxi ride, which is also pretty amusing for a "city" right? Don't be hoodwinked; Boston is not a "real" city.

So, if you didn't already guess it, the lie is #3. Boston weather sucks. I mean, it really sucks, "Hoovers," sips, slurps; whatever you want to call it. In the summer, it's too hot and humid. My first purchase in my new apartment was a fan because I couldn't cope! And on days like today, in the middle of the winter, it decides to play between rain and snow. What a mess!!

Do I seem bitter? Well maybe I am! I've been home for all of four days and I've already uttered the words "I hate Boston" on three of those days. First, it was the feet of snow that surprised me among my return. Then, it was the fact that I missed my family and friends that I left behind; I was bored and all alone in my little apartment. Then, today, after attending the first day of a four-day Geographical Information System workshop from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm today, my salsa dance class plans were thwarted by this terrible rain! (Of course I'd been complaining about the snow at lunchtime...how fitting...). Not only was the rain bad enough but my down jacket was completely soaked and smelled like wet feathers, and I discovered that my brand new winter boots are defective. Uggh! I don't say it often but...I miss Michigan!

Until next time...


"There's no place like home...There's no place like home...There's no place like home!"

-From Dorothy of "The Wizard of Oz"






No comments:

Post a Comment