Monday, January 24, 2011

Reflections

Happy New Year! I know I've already written on more than one occasion since 2011 began, but today marks the first day of the new academic term (and my last semester at HSPH)! Despite my MLK, Jr. Day volunteering, four day intensive GIS workshop, and braving the horrendous Boston weather, today marks the first day of...well...real work. After 2 classes, 4 hours of work, and 1.5 hours of socializing (clearly I need more interaction with my peeps if I'm counting the hours I spending chatting...haha), I feel that it's completely appropriate that I reflect on the past month and a half, remember the best of the end of 2010, and making my New Year's resolutions (better late than never).

My winter holiday started on Dec. 22, when I finally finished working and was able to head home for the holidays (even though I still remained on call for my RCA position). I had a wonderful Christmas with the family - which included a generous visit from good ol' Santa and my attempt to cook a gourmet holiday dinner all by myself! We decided to beat the snow for New Year's Eve by going to...Sandusky, Ohio!! Confused? Well, I was at first, but then we pulled into the Kalahari Water Resort, complete with 78 degree weather, yummy food and drinks, a gigantic water park, and a New Year's Eve family dance party (yes, I partied it up with my mom, dad, and 2 younger bros, and it was a blast).

Look at all the pretty presents I wrapped! Martha Stewart has nothing on me...
Baking and frosting cookies for Santa
Christmas dindin


Happy New Year from the Kalahari!
Happy New Year (dad and mom)!




If there's one thing I learned I should be thankful for - aside from my family and friends - it's my young looks. 
Compare: age 12 (left) and age 20-something (right)

I know it sounds a little bizarre, but think about it: when your 10 years old, you want to be a teenager; when you’re 13 years old, you want to be 18 years; and when you’re 18, you want to be 21 years old; and once you’re over 21 years old, you want to remain forever in your 20s. I was yelled at by resort staff for trying to take a fluke of champagne for the New Year's toast and was later told that I looked 15 years old the first time I tried to enter the water park. Then, on the last day at the resort, when I thought I was doing my mom a favor by taking one brother to the park, the resort staff made an announcement: no one under the age of 14 was allowed without an adult. All 10 of us in the line full of grandmothers and their grandchildren (and me and bro) wondered why the announcement was made, until, of course, I tried to enter with my brother and told that I looked 14 years old. While I initially felt annoyed - especially because I was told I looked 15 years old the day before - my brother smiled at me and said "And they say you don't get younger!" Indeed! 

I finished up the January visiting my Alma matter Michigan State University (home of the Spartans) and getting to hang out with some of my favorite people in the world! 

My friend Megan, future world leader!

My friend Jenn. I still love her even though she chose Hopkins :)

If I got one more Christmas present, this would have been it...a SNUGGIE!!
Then, I spent a few days at Hampton University while visiting a close friend of mine. 

Me by the harbor in Hampton, VA

My good friend Nwakaego standing in front of what I found to be one of them most hilarious signs I've seen lately.
Aww! I miss her already!


The weather that kept me at the airport for 2 days. In MI, this would be ridiculous, but in Atlanta, this is serious!
While several of my colleagues were traveling all over the world - to Cyprus doing an environmental science course; to China on a public health and policy tour; and all over the U.S. with a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-related projected - I was perfectly content to have the personal break that I had. I managed to recharge, find a thesis advisor, and begin the first steps of thinking about life after graduation. Unfortunately, I didn't get too far on the last step, so don't ask me what I'll be doing just yet!

Want to share your holiday experiences? Feel free to post below! 

Adeus até a próxima vez

Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us.  
-From American author Hal Borland


















No comments:

Post a Comment