Monday, November 8, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...

This past Friday, I got to participate in one my favorite HSPH activities: MusicFest! The event is exactly what it sounds like - and opportunity for HSPH students and staff to display musical talents that they never get to use! I participated last Spring and loved it! So, this year, I joined a few classmates and we formed a little "band." As one of the vocalists, I sang a mellow rendition of "Billionaire" by Travie McCoy and "Airplanes" by B.O.B. and Hayley Williams. We also did Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" (though we HSPH-ified it). 

Part of the reason that I love MusicFest so much is that it gives me the opportunity to do something that I never get to do anymore. When I was in high school, I also had these dreams of being a Broadway star! I would participate in choir, drama, piano, vocal solos, and I was pretty decent (if I say so myself :) ). And then, life happened and I decided that my calling was in global health policy...So fast-forward six years to now! MusicFest allows me to share a passion that I rarely use anymore in a supportive, low-key (and open-bar) environment. I even tried something that I've never done before - I played the piano and sang a solo to Whitney Houston's "I Look to You." My performances were far from perfect, and truthfully, I haven't properly exercised my voice in years, but it was wonderful to take a risk in an environment where I know my friends will love me no matter what!

My group performs!




Other performers





(Pictures compliments of Mark Shrime and Jen Stuart)

(Videos hopefully coming soon!)

Tutaonana baadaye! (until we meet again in Swahili)

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.
-From French poet, playwright, and novelist Victor Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment